Friday, July 16, 2010

Extention Guest Post: by Janssen


While browsing my book blogs the other day I came across THIS POST by a book blogger named Janssen, who is about to become a mother. With her permission, I'm linking her post. Please go check it out and share your thoughts.

The post is all about becoming a mother after you have already built a life around yourself and how your children will see you.

I have chosen the picture Migrant Mother by Dorthea Lange because I have looked at it often since becoming a mother. Her children cling to her for comfort but she seems to be in a whole world apart from them. A world filled with worry and defeat, which she is trying to figure out. Do her children see her struggle? Or do they cling to her for support, feeling her strength. How do these children see their mother? Do they see her fear as we do?

Janssen poses the question: "I wonder how [my children will] see me; I wonder how it will change the way I see myself."

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I like the questions and what thoughts it brings. I think one thing that is important to me is to continue to be myself. Encouraging my child's indivuality and helping him feel happy with who his is seems to be on my mind lately. I guess one way to do that is by showing him that I know who I am and that I'm happy to be that person. So days that are hard and I sometimes forget, seem to also be the days that are harder for my son. I need and want to be a stronger person for myself and for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that comment. I too felt the same way shortly after quitting my job to be a full time mom. At times, I felt that I lost my identity because I was that women for so long. Now I love the person I have become. I love being a mother and dealing with the daily challenges and blessings that come each day.

    My children now may not see what I gave up to be there for them. And who knows if they ever will. That doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I am here for them as their mother - always and forever.

    ReplyDelete