Saturday, August 7, 2010

Priorities...priorities.

I love to read, and I love to "blog stalk" a (very) few authors when time permits. One of those authors is one of my favorites--Shannon Hale. She is the author of The Goose Girl, Austenland, Book of a Thousand Days, Princess Academy (among my favorites) and more. I was reading a Q&A session with her and this is what she said:

"Do you get stressed out frequently with being a mom, a wife, and an author?"

Yes. All the time. I don't know how to do it all so I don't. I'd rather fail as a writer than as a wife and mother. I'm most definitely failing as a housekeeper and gardener. My ship has sailed as a scrapbooker/seamstress/baker.

I love it. Spencer W. Kimball said "No success can compensate for failure in the home." I consider Shannon (may I call you Shannon? Oh yes Melissa, please do! I know you've read all my books and I consider us friends...) a successful author, very professional--but she understands priorities.

So I hope you can say I'd rather fail as a _______ (fill in the blank with your wildest dreams) than as a wife and mother. I'm most definitely failing as____... be honest with yourself. Don't stretch yourself so thin that you cannot meet the needs of your family!

For more on Shannon Hale click HERE and go check out her books--you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment