Thursday, June 17, 2010

{Why a Daughter needs her Daddy}



When we found out I was pregnant with a little girl, Adam was terrified. "Daughters are different from sons," he said, "they are precious." In his mind, Adam thought he was going to have a son to play with, to mess around with. When he found out it was a girl, he didn't know what to do with himself.

I have always had a close relationship with my dad. Perhaps it is because we are so alike in every way. To this day, as we drive to the airport, movie theater, or any other even where timing is essential, I get flustered and cranky if we are running behind schedule. I got that from Dad. Adam and my mom have to deal with our overly cautiousness and empathize with each other.

We once took a personality test independent from each other and scored the EXACT SAME. It was extremely eerie. I am such a huge part of him. Even now, having lived away for years I'll tell my parents stories and they will just laugh at "Tim Jr." In the words of my father "different people are different," so along those same lines I guess I could say similar people are the same. I could always trust the advice of Dad. Because we are so similar, it was almost as if listening to him was listening to my future self. Unfortunalty as a teenager, I got really good at tuning my future self out...even when I didn't mean too, I'd be off in some other wold and suddenly I'd realize my dad was trying to tell me somthing and I'd have to fight my way back into the conversation. He always seemed to know how I was feeling. I remember my first heart break. My dad sat me down and told me about his first heart break and how life goes on. He told me stories I'd never heard before and was SO simpathetic. He told me I would feel better, he didn't tell me to feel better. He always let me cry and then I'd move on.

I tease my dad because when I was pregnant and even after I took Hannah home from the hospital, he would randomly call me up and say "do you know about babies and plastic bags? Make sure you keep her away from plastic bags," or "do you know about leaving babies in cars? You don't do it, especially in the summer." It was pretty funny because they were obvious things but I knew he was just looking out for his granddaughter.

My dad always tells me that he is proud of me. I appreciate this because I always know he is telling the truth. I know he is proud of me and I know he loves me and his support has always meant the world to me.

His influence was evident especially in making a decision to marry. I knew I had to marry someone who was as kind and loving and respectful to me as my dad was to my mom. There are not many men out there like my dad so I knew Adam would have a lot to live up to. He's getting there ;)

I'm grateful for a wonderful dad and I'm grateful for Adam who is a wonderful dad to Hannah as I mentioned in previous posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment