Wednesday, May 12, 2010

On Becoming Lovely


I fully admit that the idea for this blog was born from another blog, one of my very favorites to read and follow called On How to be Lovely. This blog is dedicated to women in all stages of life.

Looking at my life you wouldn't know me to be a feminist. After all, I'm a stay at home mom, a full time homemaker. That doesn't exactly scream modern woman. Well, I am. I am an advocate for Women's rights and I believe wholeheartedly that women can accomplish anything they so desire. The tagline for Becoming Lovely is "Making your Life Monumental." I LOVE that. There are so many small and simple things we can all do to make our lives a little more monumental. So it's time to GO AND DO (not sit and stew).

I don't believe womanhood stops at motherhood. I believe every woman should embrace everything she is from quirky to sexy. Some people think that losing yourself in motherhood makes you a better mother. I believe bringing your own sassy flare to motherhood helps bond you to your children and helps you to seem more human in their eyes.

Today I want everyone to explore Becoming Lovely and to write down three things you want your children to remember about you. My three things (today) are:

1) That I am very passionate about education...not just about teaching and learning but the politics of it, teachers rights, crazy parents, etc.

2) That I love to read and that I make special, unique connections with characters and that almost every book I read makes me cry.

3) Otter pops rule and I will never deny myself when it comes to this icy treat.

What are your three things? Please comment! Don't forget to visit www.becominglovely.blogspot.com (Follow and become a facebook fan! You won't regret!)

7 comments:

  1. I've got to say it - I LOVE that picture of you with Hannah. It is so you. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want my children to remember that I always made time to listen to them.

    That I always built them up and never tore them down.

    That I turned to the scriptures to find revelation in all aspects of life.

    My kids will grow up remembering all the obvious things about me, my likes and dislikes and talents. But I want them to remember how my example created who they will be.

    love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Julie! Great response! Those are some of the qualities I remember best about my own mom. I'd love for you to write a guest post because I love reading yours on Becoming Lovely! You seem like a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm-
    1-I want my kids to know that they can accomplish there dreams no matter how far fetched and out of reach they might seem I hope I'm an example to them of working hard for what you want in life. Not just sitting around waiting for it to happen.

    2-I want to show them the world/different cultures and have them know how much I love traveling and that fam vacations are important to me

    3-I want to teach them to work and serve others with their whole heart something I think is super important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Melissa... check out my friend Tiffany at ourmostofthetimehappyfamily.blogspot.com
    she writes all about her family (husband and 5 kids)and she does a great job of it. Your readers would enjoy her as a guest writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bree--You are always so good at those things yourself, you are such a hard worker and you don't give up on the things you believe are worth doing, you are also someone who is very loving and serving and I thing that your example will help them to become that way, just like the quote from Marjorie Hinckley--you will love them into it :)

    Lesley, You are right, I went and checked it out and I think that's a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Melissa, thanks for the shout out.

    I want my (future) children to remember these things:

    1. I am a giant nerd, but being a giant nerd is actually pretty cool and makes life a lot less stressful.

    2. I will do almost anything for almost anyone. I like to make people happy and I don't mind going out of my way to do it - in the end it makes me a happier person.

    3. I love my family pretty fiercely...through thick and thin, no matter what, family is the most important thing to me on this planet. Well, family and dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete